Para Medical -> DMLT
Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology is a diploma course pursued after the successful completion of the 10+2 level of education. This medical course involves advanced professional learning in:
- Treatment of diseases in patients through clinical laboratory tests.
Major components of study that form part of the DMLT Syllabus are:
- analysis of body matter such as:
- body fluids
- micro-organism screening
- chemical analysis
- cell count procedures that are used to detect certain diseases in patients
Such professionals are typically recruited as:
- Medical Lab Technicians
They are responsible for:
- collecting information.
- sampling it.
- reporting and documenting their medical investigations
- conducting research studies supervised by medical researchers.
- maintaining report accuracy.
- conducting complex tests.
- performing routine tests under stipulated conditions.
- preparing specimens.
- operating automated sample-analyzing machines.
- arranging and setting up testing equipment.
- maintaining lab equipment.
- supervising experiments.
- maintaining tools and safe conditions.
Such postgraduates of DMLT are actively involved in the following procedures:
- Blood banking
- Clinical Chemistry (chemical analysis of body fluids)
- Hematology (blood related)
- Immunology (study of immune system)
- Microbiology (study of bacteria and other disease-carrying organisms)
- Cytotechnology (study of human tissue)
- Urine analysis
- Blood Sample Matching
- Drug Efficacy Tests
Successful Diploma-holders of the course perform duties such as:
- analyzing human body fluids like:
- drug count
- Cerebrospinal fluid, etc.
- assisting concerned doctor in the treatment of diseases and playing a vital role in alleviating them.
- detecting the presence or absence of certain microorganisms in the patient's body.
- helping physicians find out the root cause of the ailment by detecting and treating disease through samples.
- handling, operating, and managing the running of complex electronic equipment.
- operating computers and different types of microscopes used in the documentation of reports.
- carrying out vital tests for deadly diseases like:
- Cancer, and others.
The average annual salary offered to successful professionals of the discipline in India ranges between INR 3 and 10 lacs, increasing with the candidate’s experience and skillset.
The course is an allied health/paramedical course that is concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases through clinical laboratory tests.
Lab Technologists are needed by doctors to help analyse results for treating diseases that they specialize in. The program covers preclinical subjects such as:
- Blood Banking.
Students enrolled to the course are imparted training in laboratory management ethics through:
- practical sessions
- internal assessment
- an internship training program, of a 6-month duration.